.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, January 30, 2012

I need a rest from the weekend.


Ah, it’s Monday.  There’s nothing like starting a new workweek.  Kidding.

As I said yesterday morning, I was off to meet Coach Jesse at the track for a session of quality speed work.  This workout officially kicked off my speed training and going into it, I was a little nervous of the unknown.  But after completing the workout, it wasn’t half bad!  The craziness all began at approximately 8 am. 

The workout started off with the typical 2-mile warm-up.  Once I got back to the track, Jesse suggested that I continue my warm-up with a set of drills.  Apparently, these drills are “what the kids are doing these days.”  His words, not mine… 

Why do drills before a workout?
I found this link that explains why a runner should do drills in place of stretching before a hard workout.  I only did a few of them to get me started, but this link is very thorough.  Check it out!


Now I was ready.  The actual workout consisted of 4 x 600 meters at 5:20 mile pace with 3 minutes rest in between, followed by a gradual cutdown of 3 x 200 meters with 2 minutes of rest in between.

Here are my times. The goal was to be around 2 minutes for the 600's and under 40 seconds for the 200's.  

600 = 2:00.75 / 2:01.76 / 2:01.13 / 2:01.32
200 = 38.8 / 36.99 / 35.5

1 ½ mile cool down

After my workout, I treated myself to a large decaf Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream and sugar.  Like they say, I run on Dunkin! 

Why this workout?  I’m planning on running a 1,500-meter race on the track in April.  A lot of these workouts are geared towards running that race, as well as the local 5Ks in the spring and summer.

Next up was dinner for a few friends at our house.  Here was the menu…

Appetizers:
Pea Pesto Crostini – a recipe created by Giada DeLaurentiis (link at bottom of page)
This is a delicious and creamy pesto that is delicious served on toasted baguette slices and topped with cherry tomato halves.  If you haven’t tried this one…do it!  It’s a keeper.  


Assorted cheese platter filled with a slice of smoky gouda, a wedge of creamy champagne cheddar, and pieces of extra sharp cheddar.  


And Lauretta brought this yummy guacamole with blue corn chips...


Entrée menu:
Marinated London broil
Mashed red potatoes with cream cheese


Steamed broccoli with a touch of Hojiblanca extra virgin olive oil from our local oil and vinegar tasting room
Arugula salad with feta, almonds, and cranberries topped with Meyer Lemon extra virgin olive oil (from the tasting room too!)



Dessert:
Chocolate cake with peanut butter icing



Here is the link for the pea pesto crostini:

And Jesse brought some of my favorite wine, along with some beer from his home state of Wisconsin.  

Phew…Sunday was a busy day!  Now I need a rest day from the weekend.  I hope you have a great start to your week! 

Enjoy!

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment