.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cinnamon and Sugar Croutons

Hello and Happy Tuesday!


I have an impromptu recipe for you today.  The idea came to me last night as I was sitting outside with Fred and our good friend, Jim.  Coming back from the cabin, we had a ton of bagels leftover so on Monday, I made croutons from the pumpernickel and rye bagels.  As we were sitting around the table last night snacking on them, I thought that the leftover cinnamon raisin bagels would be good tossed with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  So...today I went to work in the kitchen and this concoction all come together into one sweet, crunchy and buttery snack.  




Cinnamon and Sugar Croutons


4 {day or two old} cinnamon bagels, cut into cubes
1 stick butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

1.  Cut bagels into cubes and place into a large bowl.

2.  Melt butter and pour over bagel pieces.  Mix.

3.  Combine brown sugar and spices in a small bowl.  Stir into the bagel mixture.

4.  Spread bagel pieces out onto a cookie sheet and bake 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Bake until they are golden brown.  

5.  Let cool and store in a bowl covered with foil.  Do not store in a plastic container because they could get soggy.  




These croutons remind me of "monkey bread," something my mom used to make with store-bought biscuit dough rolled into pieces.  You can make croutons with any type of bread or seasoning.  For the rye and pumpernickel croutons, I used olive oil rather than butter, and mixed in kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil.  They were delicious as well! 


Enjoy!


Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment