.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Party and a Few Good Runs

Good morning!  I don't know about you but I'm feeling a little tired after staying up to watch the Super Bowl, especially after the 34 minute lighting delay.  Personally, I think the day after the big game should be a national holiday...don't you?  



For us, we had a little get together at our house.  My parents, plus our friends Jolene and Sib, stopped by to enjoy some tailgate-type foods and a big pot of chili {recipe here} minus the dark chocolate.  



I also made one of my favorite appetizers ever...Giada's Pea Pesto Crostini.  This spread is a puree of peas, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  So good!


In addition, I tried this Tastefully Simple dip which was gifted to me by a student.  For a mix, it was pretty good!  All I had to do was add cream cheese {I used reduced fat} and some cheddar cheese.  Mix, bake, and 12 minutes later you're left with a yummy hot dip for all to enjoy.  The best part...the crock came with it too! 



Of course my mom couldn't come empty handed, so she made her buffalo chicken dip...



What good is a football party without chips, salsa and guacamole?



Fred put together a little football game to keep us excited throughout the game.  

Winners:  
1st Quarter: Willsey {the dog} - $5.00
2nd Quarter: Fred - $7.50
3rd Quarter: Me! - $5.00
4th Quarter: Allison - $7.50    



Jolene brought decided to try a new recipe...Dr. Pepper Cake.  Holy moly, it was so good and I'm definitely getting my hands on that recipe ASAP.  




I can't say that I'm a huge pro football fan.  I'd rather go to a high school game where I know some of the players, coaches, or even the Athletic Director {in may case}...but I sure do enjoy the commercials and half time show!   

In terms of running, the weekend was chilly and snowy here on the east coast.  Saturday I got out for an easy five before I started my day.  

Sunday, I waited a bit to do my long run because we woke up to about 2 inches of snow.  By the time I ventured out, the roads were mostly clear and slushy and it wasn't too bad.  Nine miles later, I was ready for my first cup of coffee of the day.  

Distance: 9 miles in 72 minutes {~8 minute pace}.    


The bushes in the front of my house looked so pretty with the snow mixed in with the red and green leaves that still remained. 


What did you do for the Super Bowl?  Do you have any recipes to share?





 

6 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog recently!
    We ate way too much at our friend's super bowl party, and I myself had a snowy recovery run late Sunday morning too (northeast PA). Looking forward to following a fellow PA working runner mom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin! Thanks for the comment! Where in NE PA are you? I checked out your blog as well and will definitely add it to my reader. It looks like we are pretty similar...working moms who are approaching 40 and who like to run. It's always a challenge fitting it all in....

      Delete
    2. Hi Tracey...
      I'm in Hazleton....thanks so much for checking out my blog!! I just started about 2 weeks ago and am slowly getting the hang of it. I'm actually running down in your area in April...Lehigh Valley Half Marathon. I just can't wait for some warmer temps!

      And yes...I feel your pain with trying to fit it all in. It's not always pretty, but I try to do my best!

      Delete
  2. Hi Tracy! I found your blog on the Oiselle Team list and am glad I checked it out. Your Super Bowl spread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue...welcome! That chili recipe is great. Try adding a little bit of dark chocolate...it gives it a nice flavor. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. I will definitely have to give it a try - I love chili and your recipe looks great!

      Delete