.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Baba's Vegetable Soup

When my grandmother was alive, she used to make her vegetable soup with ABC noodles.  If there was one tip I took from her, it would be to add tomatoes {canned or not} to the soup broth for added flavor and texture.  My husband always says that my best soups are ones made from the ingredients I have left in my fridge and this soup is no different.  Take a look...  

I started with this:


Since this soup was thrown together in a jiffy, all measurements are approximate:

½ red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
½ red pepper, chopped
Palmful of frozen edamame, shelled
Palmful of frozen corn
1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
Salt and pepper to taste
2 quarts of organic vegetable stock
1 large can {28 ounces} tomatoes, pureed
2 bay leaves 
3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Celery leaves, chopped 
Water to thin soup
Noodles of choice

The steps are simple:
  • Saute raw veggies in olive oil until tender
  • Add the liquids and tomatoes 
  • Add the seasonings
  • Simmer for at least 30 minutes
  • Boil water in another pot and cook your favorite noodles according to the directions on the package
  • Tip: Keep your noodles separate and add to soup before serving
I used these cute snowflake noodles to make our dinner more festive and season-appropriate... 


The final product: a healthy meal for a wet and chilly night.  


Enjoy your Thursday! 



2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks so delish. This soup will definitely grace my dinner table in the very near future. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! Let me know how it turns out! My kids even ate it...!

    ReplyDelete