.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, January 7, 2013

Intervals in the 'Hood + Logging Online

I'm what you call an "old-fashioned" runner.  All of the new gadgets, knee high compression socks and mile tracking phone apps associated with the modern day running community were not around when I was in my competitive heyday.  Needless to say, it's a learning curve for me. 

An example of my vintage habits would include my handwritten training log.  Below is a sample page from last year...


To bring me up-to-date and to better organize my training, Jesse suggested an online training log to keep track of workouts and runs.  Since it's time to plan out my spring/summer training and racing schedule, he thought a good approach would be to use running-log.com for this very purpose.  

This tool is valuable for several reasons: 
  • It will allow me to more specifically log each run including mileage, type of workout, distances and times.  Plus, I can keep track of warm-ups, cool downs and intervals.
  • We both can access it to adjust future training plans and review past sessions. 
One of my resolutions was to organize all facets of my life and this is definitely one way to begin with a more structured running regimen. 


Speaking of running, on Saturday I did a lactate threshold {tempo} workout in a neighborhood full of rolling hills.  These types of workouts are important in the base phase of training when a runner is predominantly working on workouts and training that stress aerobic development. 

Here's what we did:

1.5 mile warm-up and 4 strides

2 mile tempo - 13:06 {6:40, 6:25}  

4 minutes rest  

1 mile tempo - 6:18

2 minutes rest

1 mile tempo - 6:07

1.5 mile cool down

Overall, I felt pretty good and my paces were under the projected times that Jesse set before we began.  This was the first of many workouts to come in the new year.     

On Saturday night, Fred and I enjoyed a relaxing dinner with some friends, hibachi-style.  I ordered the filet mignon and chicken with noodles and Fred got the filet mignon/scallops combo with noodles.  It's always fun to have your meal prepared right before your eyes!    


Sunday started with a 5 mile run, followed by a quick trip with Fred to the market and breakfast at Panera Bread...Ginger Peach tea and steel cut oatmeal with berries, pecans and cinnamon.   


Sunday afternoon my mom came over to help me prepare my chocolate chili and it turned out great!   


In addition, she helped me bake for my "Birthday Club" buddy at school.  On the docket:  Rolo Stuffed Ritz Crackers and PB & Chocloate Pan Cookies.  Both are located on my Pinterest boards under "Sweets" and they are definitely worth trying!  

Enjoy your day!

  

 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment