.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, July 13, 2012

No-Bake Peanut Butter Rice Cereal Treats + 6 Miles

Good morning...TGIF! 

It has been a whirlwind week and I think I am just about ready for my garage sale tomorrow.  If you've never had one, they are a ton of work!  But for me, the sale gives me the incentive to clean out closets and get rid of stuff that I don't wear or need anymore.  My rule of thumb is: If I haven't used/worn it in a year or more, then it needs to go.  

Last night, I went to Carrie's Yoga Flow Level 2/3 Class over at The Yoga Loft of Bethlehem.  In my opinion, I have never worked harder at a yoga class as I did last night.  We did a ton of one-legged vinyasas, which incorporated lots of hamstring stretching and balancing.  I felt amazing when finished and my tight hamstrings were thanking me.  



As for running, I'm still alternating longer runs with shorter runs while I build up my mileage again.  Since I took off yesterday, I decided to sneak an extra mile in this morning's run for a total of 6! 


My pace was around 8:20ish for the first mile and then sub-8:00s after that.  For some reason, the watch didn't register my final mile time.  Does anyone else have issues with their GPS watches like that?  The Achilles has been holding up just fine, and I'm using pain as my judge.  

As for today's post, my kids have been asking for Rice Krispie treats lately, so I thought I would come up with a simple, no-bake recipe using healthier ingredients.  Here's a hint of what I used:


No-Bake Peanut Butter Rice Cereal Treats


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
3 1/2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon water {if needed}
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted {optional}

1.  In a medium sauce pan, heat peanut butter and brown rice syrup over medium heat.  


2.  Stir in the chia seeds, flaxseed and the tablespoon of water {if needed}.  


3.  Remove from heat and stir in the cereal until combined.



4.  Using a cookie scoop, place equal-sized portions of the mixture on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. 


5.  Spread melted chocolate over the tops {optional, but highly recommended}. 


6.  Allow to set in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes and remove.  Store treats in an air-tight container.  






The verdict? My family thinks they are delicious!  It's a healthy alternative to the traditional peanut butter Rice Krispie treats made with marshmallow and butter.  Plus, they didn't even realize that chia seeds and flaxseeds were  incorporated into the mix.  I think they're pretty good myself!

Do you have any tricks for making recipes healthier, while still maintaining taste?  

Enjoy your Friday!

Tracy 



No comments:

Post a Comment