.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, July 9, 2012

A Weekend Recap and Chicken Salad with Grapes, Celery and Almonds

Happy Monday!

This weekend was busy, and productive as well.  Friday night, Fred and I went to a retirement party...but before we did, we had pizza night with Payton.  I'm all about having pizza, but I always try to top it with some type of veggie, and broccoli is usually the choice of my family.  


If I can't have some type of "green" on my pizza, I make sure to have a salad on the side to get my share of nutrients. 

On Saturday morning, I pushed myself to complete a 5 mile run in the muggy, steamy heat {even if it was only 8am}.  I keep trying to increase my mileage slowly and I felt pretty good on this run in particular.  Initially I set out to do approximately 4 miles, but I extended it based on my low pain level.  




Yuck!  It was so hot!  Notice the sweat on my arm...this was before I jumped in the pool to cool off.  

Later that afternoon, Jesse and Jacki {his friend and my cousin} came over for a little cookout.  I'm not sure why, but I didn't take any photos.  Fred grilled chicken on the grill, and I made potato salad and corn on the cob for dinner.  For dessert...mango and blueberries with homemade whipped cream laced with Grand Marnier and vanilla, plus Wegman's cookies on the side.  

I had Fred grill some extra chicken so I could make my chicken salad.  The recipe couldn't be easier!   

Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes, Celery and Almonds 

3 -4 grilled chicken breasts, cut into pieces
2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
1 - 1 1/2 cups grapes, halved
1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted 
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

{All measurements are approximates}

Mix chicken, celery, almonds, and grapes together in a large bowl.



Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste and combine.  I only use a little of mayonnaise {a little goes a long way}! 




Serve either on toasted bread or alone.  I normally just eat the chicken salad on its own, but we had some fresh bread so I made us a sandwich.   



A delicious lunch!  The rest of Sunday was spent getting ready for our yard sale next weekend.  What a job!  If you've ever prepared for one, then you know it's a TON of work. 

As for today, I'm about to run another 5 miles and then I'm off to teach Vacation Bible School at my church.  

Make it a great day!


Tracy



No comments:

Post a Comment