Monday, July 2, 2012

Life at the Cabin: Saturday {Part 2}

Saturday was a day of firsts…

To start, I had to drive exactly 14.2 miles one way to get to a nice path just to run.  Where I live, that normally doesn't happen.  

Being in the mountains, it's hard to find level ground that would be good for my Achilles and I knew of this bike path in town so I decided to go for it.  I’m glad I did!  I ran four miles in 30:03.  Woohoo!

Here are my approximate splits:

Mile 1 –8:16
Mile 2 –7:38
Mile 3 – 7:18
Mile 4 – 6:52

Initially my Achilles ached a bit, but after about a mile and a half, it loosened up and I was cruising.  When I got back to the cabin, breakfast was in the midst of being served so I had a nice portion of the potato casserole that I put in the oven before I left {not healthy} and my usual…Greek yogurt and berries. 

During the afternoon, rather than lunch, we snacked on some yummy treats and sipped on homemade sangria.  This pizza dip was amazing and there were only three ingredients: cream cheese, a small jar of pizza sauce and a bag of mozzarella cheese.  Place in the microwave and about five minutes later, you have a delicious dip.  We used tortilla chips for dipping.  

This is what I did most of that day...

Another first…fishing in the pond.  I tried but I had no luck.  Fish were swimming all around my line, but they just wouldn’t bite.

I also shot a bow and arrow for the first time ever.  Jolene showed me how to use her bow.  Gosh…it’s hard!   

You have to remember a ton of stuff at the same time.  Plus, it was heavy!  I shot twice.  The first time I shot from 20 yards back and the arrow went about 15 feet above the target and into the woods.  Fred’s brother {Bill} suggested I shoot from 10 yards and that was much better.  It wasn’t bulls-eye, but it actually hit the target.  


Here's Fred and I just hanging out...

Before dinner, we set out on a drive on the property to look for animals.  For the first time, I rode in the bed of a pick-up truck.  I can’t say that I ever did that before either.  Fred calls me a city slicker, but really...I'm not.  On our excursion, we saw about twelve deer {all does} and some turkeys in the distance.  

Once we got back from our drive, we started dinner.  The guys grilled marinated pork tenderloin and foil packs of potatoes.  I sautéed green beans in a pan and created this corn off the cob salad from the leftover ears of corn from Friday’s dinner.  I may try to get this recipe up this week since it was a hit among the cabin dwellers. 

Since it was our last night at the cabin, we all just hung out and chatted before retiring to bed.  Another great day!  

As for today, I just returned from a follow-up visit with the orthopedic surgeon regarding my Achilles tendonitis.  Apparently, it isn't as healed as he would have hoped and is sending me for an MRI.  They REALLY meet the needs of their working patients because my appointment is at 10:00 PM tonight!  I am glad I am going because I want to get the running show on the road.  

I hope you have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment