.quickedit{display:none;}

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lunch-packing 101.


Good morning! 


If you're like me, you need to pack a lunch every day.  And if you're also like me, you don’t particularly enjoy this task.  I would like to share a few tips that I've learned over the years for beating this stress.  Hopefully, these tips may help you with your lunch-packing blues.

If I make dinner, whether it be meat and veggies on the grill, or a large salad filled with wholesome good stuff, I always make a little extra.  That way, I can begin to pack my lunch as I am cleaning up.

Also, I always have a few staples on hand to help me whip together a lunch in about two minutes flat.

Frozen edamame – These soybeans in a pod are packed with carbohydrates, protein, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, micronutrients, folic acid, and vitamin K.  Some people like to pile on the salt, but I prefer them plain.  I just put some frozen pods in a plastic bag and they are defrosted and ready to eat by lunchtime the next day.



Hummus – Our local Wegman’s has a hummus bar that is to die for.   I usually have a little hummus in my fridge, preferably the roasted red pepper or caramelized onion flavors.  This goes perfect with the next item on the list of must-haves.

Coco Pops from Wegman’s – No, not the chocolate cereal!  These simple whole-grain cakes are light, airy and very similar to the consistency of a rice cake, but they contain whole grains.  They have no sugar, are low in calories and carbs, and they make the perfect base for any dip, cheese, or hummus.  (See them in the picture below)

Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges – These 35 calorie spreadable wedges are delicious on top of the above-mentioned Coco Pops.  I prefer the light garlic and herb, but there are several other yummy cheese flavors to choose from. 



Fruit, of course – My house is almost always stocked with fresh fruit.  My preferences are bananas and grapes for a quick side in my lunch.  I usually have some type of berry as well…strawberries, blueberries, black raspberries, etc. 

Greek yogurt – I always, always, always have a large container of Fage nonfat Greek yogurt in my fridge.  This is a high protein, low fat snack that is enjoyable anytime of day.  I just add a little bit of agave nectar to sweeten it up, plus a handful of fruit, and I am good to go.



So the next time you go to the grocery store, grab a few of these healthy food options.  I promise they will make lunch-packing a little bit easier and a lot less stressful!

Enjoy!
Tracy

2 comments:

  1. Coco Pops? I thought/hoped you were speaking my langauge for a second. Then you went back to hummus. Zzzzzzzz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try the cheese spread if for no other reason other than that the smiling cow is cute!

    ReplyDelete