.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, February 13, 2012

Meatloaf Everyone Loves.


Good morning and Happy Monday!  

Every year around Valentine’s Day I make a special meal for my family to celebrate the holiday.  Normally I try to change it up a bit, but there is one item that is a staple every year…my heart-shaped meatloaves.  For some reason, meatloaf is a favorite of my girls, so last night I took my original recipe and vamped it up to be more “Valentine-ish.” 

The nice thing about this recipe is that it is made all in one bowl…just add the ingredients, mix it up, and bake. 

Here’s the recipe…

2 lbs. ground beef (I use organic beef)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon ground sage
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon ground mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs (or a little more if needed)

Glaze:
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup apricot jam


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in one large bowl.  Add more breadcrumbs if needed.  

 
Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, mold each heart and lay on a rimmed cookie sheet.




Mix together ketchup and jam.  Brush over meat and then bake for 25 – 35 minutes.



I made asparagus and roasted red potatoes to accompany this meal. 


This meatloaf is also delicious in a regular loaf pan, or individual loaf pans too. 

For dessert, I made large heart-shaped shortbread cookies dipped in white and dark chocolate…another hit with the family.  Of course with the extra chocolate I just HAD to dip some strawberries in it!  Yum! 





I had a few cookies left for the girls' teachers, as well as my friends at school.  



Do you do anything special with your family for Valentine’s Day?

I hope you have a great start to your week!

Enjoy!

Tracy

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. What a cute idea to make heart-shaped meatloaf. The glaze sounds delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete