.quickedit{display:none;}

Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Speedy" and Simple Sauce from a Jar.


As I said yesterday, I had a speed workout planned on the track with Coach Jesse.  The sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day to be outside in the fresh air.  This particular workout was an early introduction to track racing situations and VO2 max.  To warm-up, I ran my typical 2-mile loop, followed by Coach Jesse's drills.  Personally, I think I look pretty silly doing them especially since I am not the most coordinated person in the world.

Here's what we did:

800 m - 2:51.0 (2:30 rest)  (*I went out a little too fast -- my goal was 2:55)
800 m - 2:55.5 (2:30 rest) 
300 m - 59.1 (1:00 rest)
300 m - 60.0 (1:00 rest)
300 m - 59.4 

2:30 rest

800 m - 2:52.2 (2:30 rest)
800 m - 2:51.5 (2:30 rest)
300 m - 60. 99 (1:00 rest)
300 m - 58.23 (1:00 rest)
300 m - 55.27

1 1/2 mile cool down

Overall, I was happy with the workout and Coach Jesse was pleased with the 55 second close on the last 300.  Yay!

So now on to my recipe...

Sometimes when I come home from work, I need to prepare a quick and healthy meal for my family.  With a little creativity, I can pull it off most of the time.  The other night I decided to make spaghetti and meat sauce.  Of course, I try to include as many vegetables as possible, as well as the protein we all need, so here is what I came up with.  It’s very simple!

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion
2 carrots, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground chicken or turkey breast (preferably organic)
10 – 12 fresh basil leaves, julienned
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 jar of your favorite sauce
kosher salt to taste
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes

Heat olive oil in a large pot and add the onion, carrots, and zucchini.  Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.  


Add the ground chicken or turkey breast and cook until no longer pink.  


Next, add the dried oregano and tomato paste.  Cook about a minute.  I like to have a tube of tomato paste on hand.  When a recipe calls for it, I can just pull it out of my fridge. 


Add the jar of sauce and the fresh basil.  Cook until heated through.  


You may want to add a cup of water if you like your sauce a little thinner.  


The finished product!  A healthy meal packed with protein, vegetables, and carbohydrates.  


To julienne basil leaves:

Stack basil leaves in a pile.


Form a tight roll.


Cut with a sharp knife into thin slices.  


Follow these steps and you will have gorgeous julienned basil leaves every time!

Enjoy your Saturday!
Tracy

2 comments:

  1. Huh, looking at that workout, I'm going to take a stab at this, but I think you could run maybe 4:35.30 or so in a few months...what would I know though? I'm just taking a stab at some arbitrary time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha....well that would be a PR then, wouldn't it??

    ReplyDelete