.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Winter Blues, Go Away - Part One


Ugh!  Winter!  Even though our area has been experiencing some very nice weather the past few days, it is still winter…and spring is still months away.  I don’t know about you, but I am constantly on the lookout for ways to make winter more bearable, and maybe even a little fun!  Here are some of the ideas that I have to keep the cold from getting me down…

At-Home Mani/Pedi
Nothing says “warm weather” like freshly painted nails in bright hues, so I decided to brighten them up with a little Passion Fruit nailpolish.  My seven year old daughter and I had a spa night and we painted her nails, and both of our toes.  



Read a Beach Book.
Almost each night I go to bed with the beach on my mind.  The current book at the top of my nightstand is titled “Silver Girl” by Elin Hilderbrand.  This “chick lit” novel is based in the town of Nantucket, and it tells about a suspenseful story of friendship, love, and forgiveness.  Here's the summary courtesy of Amazon.com:

Meredith Martin Delinn just lost everything: her friends, her homes, her social standing - because her husband Freddy cheated rich investors out of billions of dollars.

Desperate and facing homelessness, Meredith receives a call from her old best friend, Constance Flute. Connie's had recent worries of her own, and the two depart for a summer on Nantucket in an attempt to heal. But the island can't offer complete escape, and they're plagued by new and old troubles alike. When Connie's brother Toby - Meredith's high school boyfriend - arrives, Meredith must reconcile the differences between the life she is leading and the life she could have had. 

To my male readers: I am not sure if this book would provoke your interests!

 
Set up a Date Night.
Because my husband’s job is extra busy during the winter months, we make it a point to schedule date nights.  Seriously, we literally write it on the calendar hanging on our kitchen refrigerator.  Whether we have a get together at home (see the post "Date night with lots of snacks")  or we head for a glass of wine at a local hotspot, this time is well needed just to catch up on our daily lives.

Get Yourself Moving ~ Outside.
If you’re like me, the thought of starting a run on a cold, cold day is not at the top of my list of favorite feelings.  However, once I am moving, and especially, once I am finished, I feel great!  Plus the fresh air gives my body the natural energy boost it needs.

Eat Chocolate.
Eat a piece of dark chocolate each day (at least 60% cocoa).  Doctors say the antioxidants in a small piece of dark chocolate are good for you and I won’t be complaining about this one…

Game Night with the Kids.
Get your laughs on by having a game night with your kids.  No kids? Grab your nieces, nephews, or the kids of a friend and have a great time!  Our family loves to play the old favorites such as Connect 4 and Uno, but we also like newer games such as Apples to Apples.  I promise, it’s a good time for all!

Fresh Flowers.
There usually isn’t a time when my dining room table is flower-free because I love fresh flowers.  All kinds and colors!  My local grocery store sells small bunches of buds for approximately $4 to 5 and this is a simple way to add color to any room in your home.

Wear Bright Colors.
Let’s face it, we don’t cover ourselves in black during the summer months, so why should we wear it all winter long?  Vibrant colors brighten my mood so I try to add one piece or accessory to give my outfit the color boost it needs.

I'm wondering if you have any tips or cures for the winter blues?  If so, I would love to hear about them!

Stay tuned tomorrow for Winter Blues: Take Two - Top 10 Ways to stay Motivated to Run in the Cold Weather.

Have a happy day!

Tracy 

No comments:

Post a Comment