.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, March 19, 2012

Race Day, Sunday.


Good morning!

It’s Monday and I’m coming off yesterday’s race where I ran Allentown’s St. Patty’s Day 5k race, my first 5k in a few years.  I was particularly excited to run because 1.) I wanted to see where I am in my training and 2.) I really think the 3.1 mile trek is a good distance for me. 

The day started out dreary and cool, approximately 55 degrees when I left my home at 10:30 am.  Because this race was a preview to their St. Patty’s Day parade, the start time was a little later than normal (12:15pm). 

Here I am getting ready in my Oiselle garb.  I was a little nervous…just ask my husband!  


At the starting line, I got to talk to a few old friends and current coworkers.  Michele Belisle is a rep for Oiselle and is a friend of mine from years ago.  It was so nice to catch up!


Here is a view of the starting line.  I believe there were about 150 runners registered.


As for my splits, I went through the first mile in about 5:45 pace, a tad under what I was aiming for.  



Since I was still struggling with my head and chest cold, I knew I wasn’t myself and I slowed down the second mile, going through in 12:15. Note to self: work on maintaining pace through the second mile...




With a mile to go, I definitely picked it up and ran a low 5:50-ish third mile. 

In the end, I finished as the second overall female in 18:53.  I would have taken anything under 19:15 due to my cold situation, but my sub-19 time was definitely worth the effort and I was happy.

Every racer had the "O" before the last name on their tag to make them sound more "Irish."


After the race it was time to socialize with some long-time friends.  Here I am again with Michele…both of us sporting our Oiselle singlets.


My friend Katie and I work together at school.  


Jolene had a great time...she was decked out in her green garb!  So fun!


Here’s Coach Jesse…he is partly responsible for helping me get to this point in my training…thank you!


My husband, Fred was there to cheer me on, along with my stepdaughter Alli.



Of course, my parents still come to every race that I participate in…they are my biggest fans (even after 20 years)!


Awards time!


This is my first gift certificate in years and years…Plus theater tickets to the local Civic Theater in Allentown.


And afterwards, I was starved so Fred and I got some sandwiches from Wawa and took them home to eat outside in our backyard.  


I finally was able to get my decaf hazelnut coffee!

What a gorgeous day!!

Overall, I was pleased with my effort, but felt horrible the rest of the day due to cold/allergy symptoms. 

Time to go to school and start the week…Have a great Monday!

Tracy

1 comment:

  1. Good race but 2 things to criticize...1st, why were you not wearing festive green attire? 2nd, what is the point of anything decaf?!?

    ReplyDelete