.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sunday Dinner with Friends

Happy Tuesday!

Before I head to training for work, I need to catch up with the last few days.  I started yesterday with a very easy 4 mile run around my neighborhood.  For this run, I decided to wear no watch and I felt pretty good, especially since the humidity was lower.  Thank goodness!  

My run was followed by a trip to the chiropractor and my daughter happened to capture the visit with a photo.  I didn't even know she was playing with my phone.  

   
Kind of an awkward position, don't you think?  But honestly, the treatments have really been making my Achilles feel better.  I've also noticed that my hips/lower back have been feeling better too.  After lunch, Payton and I hit EuroYogurt for a frozen treat.  We have been there before, but it was on our way home and we popped in.  I took note that my pomegranate-raspberry was about 100 calories and no fat for a 1/2 cup serving.  Not bad!  




But on to the post of the day...Sunday night we had our friends {Jolene and Sib} over for an impromptu dinner.  Basically, I tried to use everything that I had in my fridge and pantry without running to the store.  Jolene brought over an appetizer {fresh salsa and chips} and watermelon for dessert.  



For another appetizer, I had these miniature hot peppers that Jolene sent over the other day.  I wasn't quite sure how I would use them, and when I took a look in my fridge, I saw some feta cheese.  Plus, I knew I had fresh herbs in my backyard...hence, an idea was born.  


First, I cut off the tops and seeded them.
 

Next, I blanched them in boiling water for a few minutes and then immediately spooned them into an ice bath.



After a few minutes in the ice bath, I placed the peppers on a paper towel to dry.  

I mixed about a cup to a cup and a half of crumbled feta with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped fresh thyme, salt and pepper.  This served as the filling.   



Once the peppers were carefully filled, I placed them on a baking sheet and baked them at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and melted. 








For the meal, we had grilled chicken and bunless burgers with Muenster cheese and sauteed onions.  On the side, I prepared a grill packet of broccoli and shallots and a wheat berry medley.  
 

The wheat berries were cooked in chicken stock for extra flavor.  I sauteed carrots, shallots and yellow squash until tender and added these veggies to the cooked grains.  I also added some of the leftover feta/basil mixture from the hot peppers and fresh basil.  The warmth of the wheat berries made the feta melt which gave the whole dish a creamy consistency.  It was delicious served at room temperature.  It was also good cold {as part of my lunch yesterday}.


The final plate...


The workout plan for today...I want to attend a Hot Yoga class later in the day and possibly a run before. 

Enjoy the day!





No comments:

Post a Comment