.quickedit{display:none;}

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bunless Burgers and Sweet Cabbage Saute.


After full day of school, a five-mile run, and picking my daughter up at dance, last night I needed a quick and healthy meal to feed my family within minutes.  My fridge already contained some lean ground beef and a head of cabbage, so I decided to create a meal using a few of the ingredients I had on hand. 

On the menu:
Bunless Burgers with Smoked Gouda
Sauteed Cabbage and Onions
Steamed Green Beans


Recipe for the Cabbage:
1 onion, cut in half and then thinly sliced {I used a red onion}
1 head of cabbage, sliced very thin
1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Splash of apple cider vinegar
Water as needed

Heat oil and melt butter in a large frying pan.  Saute apple and onion until tender, about 5 - 8 minutes.   


Add cabbage, salt and pepper and sauté until soft, approximately 15 - 20 minutes.   



Serve warm. 

I didn’t want to buy a whole pack of rolls for the burgers, so I dressed up the meat with some cubed smoked Gouda cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper.   




Then, Fred used his magic and grilled them to perfection. 

Of course we had to have some “green” thrown into our meal, so I simply steamed some green beans and our dinner was complete.  


This picture doesn't do the meal much justice, but it sure was good!  Delish!

Sometimes the simplest meals can come together in a flash and they are often mighty tasty too!

Have a great Wednesday!

Tracy

 

1 comment: