.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Digging Deep with Massage

Happy Thursday!  Including today, I have exactly 14 days of school left.  But, who's counting? :)  I love this time of year because school is winding down, the anticipation of summer break is looming in everyone's minds, the weather becomes warmer and more inviting, and it is light at 6am for my early morning runs.  What more can I ask for?  




...ALMOST...

With these happy thoughts in my mind, I can get through anything...even my Achilles tendonitis.  Last night I visited my old friend {Laura} for neuromuscular massage therapy on that region, as well as my calf muscle.  Laura is well-known throughout the Lehigh Valley for having "hands of steel."  Many runners have been in the hands of Laura throughout the years and she even makes weekly visits to the staff of Runner's World/Rodale Press in Emmaus.  

For thirty minutes straight, she dug her thumbs into the heel and calf area of my right leg and...let me tell you...it was no picnic.  At one point, I told her that these visits weren't enjoyable.  She laughed and no offense was taken.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't the first time she heard such a comment.

This morning I went out for a run and it felt ok.  I think it was a little sore from last night's session, but I worked through it and finished five miles.  I was glad to get the run in despite the soreness and tenderness.     

Here's a little article that Laura wrote about running and massage.  She's been around the scene for a long time!


Over the winter, Laura also helped me get through some tight IT band issues and the sessions with her worked wonders.  I highly suggest massage therapy to relieve the aches and pains associated with running.  It's worth it!

Have you ever tried neuromuscular massage therapy or any other form of massage therapy for running-related injuries?  Did it help?  

Enjoy your day!
Tracy




     



No comments:

Post a Comment